Skip to content

Payroll Giving FAQs for employees



How does Payroll Giving work?

It’s very easy, you can complete the form here and it will go through to our partners, Giving Online. They will make sure that your company operates a Payroll Giving scheme. Giving Online will notify your payroll department that you would like to set up a regular donation to us in this way.  If your company doesn’t currently have a Payroll Giving scheme, Giving Online will contact you and let you know. They can also get in touch with your company and suggest they introduce one.

Does my employer offer Payroll Giving?

You can check to see if your employer offers Payroll Giving here. If your employer is listed, click on the donation form link and complete the form.  If your employer is not listed, either complete the donation form or email PGA and they will ask them to set up a scheme.

Can I give to any charity through Payroll Giving?

Yes – you can donate to any UK registered charity. If they are a small charity it is best to include the registered charity number and address on your donor form. The WDC registered charity number is 1014705.

How long will it take for the first deduction to be taken?

This all depends on when you complete and submit your form. It is aimed to start the following payroll run but if completed after the payroll run then it will be the following one.

How do you know that WDC has received your donation?

Your donation will show up on your payslip.  Your employer will be signed with a Payroll Giving Agency, who handle all donations through the scheme and are regulated by HMRC. When you complete the form, a copy will be sent to your company’s Payroll Giving Agency so they know who the donation is coming from and which charity to send it onto. The charity you choose will also be sent a copy of the form.

Your donation is very important to us and we will send you your welcome pack. We will also send you updates on our work in our quarterly magazine. Don’t forget, you can sign up to our e-newsletter for up-to-date campaign news at

How will you use my details?

In order for you to receive all the benefits of your adoption, we need your address to send you your adoption pack and quarterly magazine which keeps you up to date on how we are protecting whales and dolphins, including Simoom. We would also like to send you our monthly adopt an orca e-newsletter for all the latest news, but we will need your email address. Without this information, we will not be able to send you the amazing benefits of adopting Simoom, which you generously donate towards through your pay. Please be assured we never sell or swap your data and you can change your preferences at any time. Send your details to [email protected] or call us on 01249 449500. You can read our full privacy policy here.

Is there a minimum or maximum amount you can give?

No, there is no upper limit, however, it is recommended that you give a minimum of £5 gross per month which will cost you £4 if you are a standard rate tax payer.

How is Payroll Giving different to a Direct Debit with Gift Aid?

Payroll Giving is taken from your gross salary (pre-tax) so there is no need for us to claim the tax back through Gift Aid. This will save us money in admin costs.

Can I amend my donation?

You can amend your donation by either replacing existing donations or adding to existing donations here.

What do you do if you should decide you no longer what to give?

All you have to do is notify your payroll department directly.

What do you do if you leave your job?

Your Payroll Giving donation will automatically stop when you leave your job. We hope you’ll consider giving through the scheme at your next job. All you’ll need to do is set this up again here as your donation is non-transferable.

Is there an administration fee?

Yes. Payroll Giving Agencies are charities themselves and do need to cover their operating costs. Some employers pay this fee themselves so the charity receives the full amount of the donation. When the employer doesn’t pay the fee, the Payroll Giving Agency will deduct it from your donation before it comes to the charity.  This varies based on the Payroll Giving agency but is usually from 25p per each payroll deduction or 3 – 4%.

What if you pay higher rate tax (40%)?

You will receive the tax relief at the highest tax you pay – therefore giving £1 will only cost you 60p.

Can I give through my pension?

If you receive an occupational pension and your pension provider deducts tax through the PAYE system, then yes! All you need to do is ask your occupational pension provider to make a donation from your pension before the tax has been deducted.