On 27 July 2022, 100 bottlenose dolphins were killed in Skálafjörður on the Faroe Islands. The hunt comes just weeks after the Faroe Islands government, despite both national and international outrage, allowed the killing of 500 dolphins a year. No one in the Faroe Islands depends on the killing of whales and dolphins for their own survival but we rely on them for the survival of our shared planet. So for their sake and ours, this slaughter should stop immediately.
Over 100,000 dolphins, small whales, and porpoises are hunted and killed in hunts worldwide. It has to stop. Will you help the continued fight to stop dolphin and whale hunts in the Faroes?
Your donation today could help to lobby the Faroese Government to end these brutal hunts. Your gift will help:
- Work within the Faroes to change hearts and minds. Change needs to come from the Faroese people themselves so we need to understand their motivations for continuing to hunt.
- Build political and local pressure on the Faroese government and prime minister to fast-track their promised ‘review of the hunting of dolphins' and to publish their findings.
- Work collectively with other NGOs to pool skills and expertise for greater impact.
- Work within inter-governmental bodies such as the International Whaling Commission to galvanise global opposition to the hunts.
- Recruit a new member of staff dedicated to ending these hunts in the Faroes and Greenland, working within communities to change public opinion.
- Convince UK supermarkets and other retailers to audit their supply chains and apply pressure through their Faroese suppliers.
Donations from supporters like you have helped work to try to end the hunting of dolphins and small whales for decades. Thanks to you, 1.3 million signatures were presented to the Prime Minister of the Faroes calling on him to stop the dolphin hunts. Despite this, the brutal hunts are still being allowed to take place.
There may be no easy answers or quick fixes to end these hunts but with you by our side, we will never give up.
With your support, we will continue to fight against whale and dolphin hunting of all kinds.