Bardsey Island Fieldwork Volunteers
This project offers a unique opportunity to volunteer on a research project that focuses on harbour porpoises and Risso’s dolphins. You may also get to see bottlenose dolphins, common dolphins as well as grey seals and common seals.
The Bardsey Island survey runs from 18th August to 1st September 2018. (see Bardsey on a map)
The costs to join the project are:
Aged 25+ - £425 per person, per week.
18-24 years old - £375 per person, per week.
There is space for four volunteers per week; priority will be given to those who can do two weeks. There will be a reduced cost for the second week of £375 for adults (25+), and £325 for 18-24 years old.
- Food and beverages (breakfast, lunch and dinner, except for alcoholic drinks)
- Accommodation on Bardsey (this will be in a shared room with other volunteers, and may therefore be a mixed sex room)
- Boat crossing to and from the island
- Car parking on the mainland
- Training by researchers
- Scientific supervision
- Research contribution
- Mainland accommodation before crossing to Bardsey (if required)
- Travel to boat departure point
- Personal travel & medical insurance covering the whole participation period (compulsory)
- Personal expenses (souvenirs, etc.)
- Alcoholic drinks (beer, wine, etc.)
If you are interested in joining this project, you will need to fill out the volunteer application form and equal opportunities form below, and return to us either by email or post by May 6th. We will then get in touch and confirm if you have a place on the project.