You are here
Working to end whaling in Iceland
Whaling in Iceland
Whaling in modern Iceland is an anachronism, largely driven by the ambitions and stubborn pride of one man - fin whaler, Kristjan Loftsson.
What needs to happen
The nations of the world need to remind the Icelandic Government and its people that the world loathes its whaling.
- Members of the International Whaling Commission (IWC, the body that regulates whaling) should collectively condemn Icelandic whaling and encourage Iceland to cease all commercial whaling and trade
- IWC members who are also Parties to CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) should challenge Iceland's exploitation of a loophole allowing massive commercial trade in whale meat and products
- The European Union (EU) - and all other countries that may be used as a route for transporting whale meat and products - should close their ports to whale meat shipments, whether from Iceland or other countries
- Airlines and shipping companies need to refuse to transport whale meat and products
- All companies purchasing or handling Icelandic seafood products should fully audit their supply chain (including third parties and subsidiaries) to ensure they are not contributing to the profits of fishing giant, HB Grandi, due to its close links to fin whaling
Iceland whaling - fin whale killed in 2014 WDC
What WDC is doing
- WDC is campaigning to oppose Icelandic Iceland's whalers actions at the International Whaling Commission
- WDC is actively campaigning to make whaling unprofitable in Iceland
- We regularly travel to Iceland and meet with decision makers and influencers
- WDC is investigating illegal sales of whale meat and publicising or shutting down such operations when we find them
What you can do to help
- Let people know about WDC's campaigns and direct them to this site to take action
- Please visit Iceland, but please don't eat whale meat if its offered to you. Show your support for live whales by taking a whale watch trip instead!
- Support our campaign to end the transfer of whale products through the European Union
- Support our campaign to persuade EU supermarkets and wholesalers not to do business with the whalers