We can confirm the departure of two belugas, Little Grey and Little White from their current home in China to an ocean sanctuary in Iceland has had to be postponed.
The temporary delay is due to the final leg of the complicated journey between the Icelandic mainland and the Island of Heimaey. Sadly, due to severe weather conditions and high seas, we’ve been forced to postpone the departure of Little Grey and Little White until the weather conditions improve.
There are a number of logistical implications in rescheduling the move which we’re working through with our project teams and various transport suppliers, however our top priority remains Little Grey and Little White’s welfare and therefore the move is dictated by their requirements and well-being.
We’ve been working closely with our transport partner Cargolux and the Icelandic authorities to assess every suitable option to safely relocate Little White and Little Grey to their new open-water home on the Island of Heimaey and will continue to do so.
We’d like to thank all of those partners and suppliers who have been working tirelessly with us to support this move particularly Cargolux and the Icelandic Government.
Little Grey and Little White will continue to prepare for their journey in the weeks ahead and we want to reassure those following this project that this temporary postponement won’t deter our efforts to create the world’s first open-water beluga whale sanctuary.
We will share progress when our team of experts and partners have deemed it right to do so.